One bike to rule them all

I’ve had a huge shed clearout over the last few weeks, partially motivated by financial circumstance, partially by the wish to simplify. The upshot of this is that I’m now a one bike man. Oh yes brothers and sisters, Resurrectio the Green (pictured above in the header) now has to live up to its billing as a true all-rounder.

It’s easy to own an all-round-commuter-tourer-trail-bike-cross-bike type bike and be all braggy and bolshy about it, when you’ve also got a mountain bike, folding bike and road bike. However, it was time to walk the walk and get rid of the noise in the Allen cycling stable. First the road bike went to my son, who’d outgrown his road bike. Then the mountain bike went (via the ‘bay) to an eager punter in York. Finally the folding bike flew the coop this evening to a nice chap who owned a whole fleet of Dahons.

So now it’s just me and Resurrectio. And it feels good. I’ve got a bike that’ll do 95 percent of the riding that I do. For the other 5 percent, I can beg, borrow, but not steal.

For the record, the features that make Resurrectio “the master ring” are as follows:

  1. Tough cromo frame and fork with mudguard eyes, rack mounts and BIG tyre clearances
  2. Mudguards
  3. Drop bars, mounted level with the saddle, meaning all day comfort (ROAD), off-road control (‘CROSS) and good visibility in traffic (COMMUTE)
  4. Flat, grippy pedals – wear any shoes you like
  5. Chainguard instead of the macho BIG RING = wear your normal clothes and don’t get snagged.
  6. The result – one sweet bike that never says “no, sorry, that sneaky trail shortcut is off-limits”.

Want some proof? Here’s a report from Resurrectio’s latest long distance raid – the Forest of Dean Spring Classic Sportive. Two days later I cycled to work on the same bike, in the rain, in normal clothes.

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “One bike to rule them all

  1. H

    Dear Guru

    I have noticed of late that some riders have not only started wearing hair on their legs, but also on the faces. What do you think of such beard wearing bicyclers?

    Is this a fashion revolution amongst cyclists? An extension of the pre tour stubble? Or a defence against the snow and ash that have rained on our peaty soils? Is a beard needed to ride a bike such as Resurrectio?

    Personally, I think that the wearing of the hairy face detracts from the shine of a nicely polished bike and may mask the hard earned grimace of a long ride into a headwind. I am however willing, dear Guru, to grow such whiskers if you think it might be worth my while in the fashion or performance stakes.

    1. theeverydaycyclist

      Wind tunnel tests have shown that the human beard works in a similar way to the dimples on a golf ball – creating a low pressure wake behind the rider. Indeed many top track teams are scouring their nations for hirsute athletes (male and female) to find that competitive edge. Tweed jackets and plus-fours have a similar effect.

  2. Paul

    Hi
    I am standing at a crossroads where I have to decide which Dahon to buy. You had the D7 for just over a year. What are your thoughts?
    I like the stem idea, as I am 6´1″ and used to riding a racing bike. I need the portability but I am unsure where to start and also how much to spend on the C2W scheme!
    Cheers
    Paul
    i123paulm@yahoo.co.uk

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s